The High Commission of Maldives is responsible for the consular protection of all Maldivian nationals who are temporary residents or visiting the United Kingdom. The High Commission provides a number of consular services to the Maldivian community in the UK, and can provide assistance to Maldivians in times of need.
General Consular Assistance
In addition the assistance listed elsewhere, the High Commission can provide the following general assistance:
- Contact the relatives or friends of Maldivians in the UK and ask them for financial assistance.
- Provide information on money transfers or other means of obtaining emergency funds.
- Provide information and contact details of local lawyers, doctors, and so forth.
- Advise on the necessary procedures in the event of an accident or fatality, and arrange for the next of kin/guardians to be informed.
- Visit Maldivians detained by local law enforcement agencies, or detained in prison. In some circumstances High Commission staff can arrange for messages to be delivered to family or friends in Maldives.
- Provide information on the organisations responsible for missings items or missing persons.
- In some circumstances, speak to local authorities on the behalf of Maldivians in the UK.
Although staff at the High Commission will try to do everything they can to assist Maldivians facing difficulties in the United Kingdom, the High Commission is not able to provide financial assistance.
Information on how foreign nationals can obtain Police Clearance Certificates from the Maldives Police Service.